What do I want? Probably an E (or S)

“What I Want”
I was wanting to know your music,
wanting to know your Song,
which I had found you play that night,
and still bring to mind at Dawn.

I was wanting to know what you had to Say,
Wanting your Words to stay,
for my mind, for my body, I still want
daily, morning, noonday, nightly.

I was wanting to catch your song again,
wanting a day in which to hum;
my music, All yours,
my song, Yours.

Now, whilst I am candid and unclad, laid out for you,
I know what I was wanting to know most,
Wanting to ask that day:
if I could hold your hand, and Sing With You all day.



On the trouble of love without e.

I wrote “What I Want” while down with the flu, completely out of it and writing of a feeling from a warmer, better time. Hard to do? Challenging? More than I can affirm. Where did I begin? End? How could I ever write a love poem without an “e?”

Well for one, love couldn’t occur. You can’t write it without the “e,” not correctly. But I think I learned from “What I want” that you can convey far more than you realize even when you take away a letter. Love, and the other minutiae I tried to convey, were perfectly capable of being told and felt with the remaining alphabet. And quite well, if I may add.

While I wrote, I thought a lot about why I could do it without the “e”. I’ve come to think that you can create of meaning even when you have an arm tied behind your back. I think you can if you think, you have to take advantage of your brain and your wide vocabulary to find other wording to get your point through. Furthermore, you have to reflect and learn what you truly want to convey, finding what would be fluff and filler, including only the important. Only, then you can write. Quite a challenge in writing, in my opinion.

Did I at more than one point want, more than anything, to put that little letter in when I thought the word couldn’t not be included? Definitely! Did I? No, and I have become all the better for it.


-Tina

Comments

  1. Emma Hummel
    I really liked this poem and the sweet message it contained. I really liked the different subject idea because a lot of people (including me) wrote about procrastination. You did a great job conveying the idea of love without being able to say it. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this poem and the thoughts it invoked. Whilst reading it, I tried to formulate my own interpretations and applications on my own life, based on the fact that the subject was nearly never addressed. A stylization choice that you made, to capitalize random (?) words threw me for a bit of a loop. I kept asking what they were there for and why? maybe i will never know! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am impressed at how the poem doesn't awkward without the letter "e". I think that if I were to do the same prompt it would sound forced. The poem itself is also very well written, especially considering that you were sick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina,
    I really enjoyed reading the poem you've composed as well as your explanation. The poem itself flows really naturally and the rhyme fits in well. I think that the explanation made me appreciate your work even more. Thanks for brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem and reflection, Tina! You did a wonderful job with the difficult constraints, and I love your reflections on the challenges and rewards. Nice move using "whilst" :) That's a great word we Americans don't get to use often enough....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very impressive, especially considering you wrote it when you were sick! Your reflection was very interesting and I really enjoyed your poem. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina,
    This was such a heartfelt post! I absolutely loved reading your poem and reflection. Your writing is so authentic in the emotions you were able to get across, which I really appreciated. On top of that, I think you took on a unique challenge! The idea of trying to write a love poem without using that principal word - let alone the letter "e" - seems quite daunting, but obviously you executed just that flawlessly. From your beautiful poem to your excellently articulated reflection, I loved hearing the thoughts you had to share. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts